Friday, January 27, 2012

Target Audience Research - Film Noir Questionnaire

As we can see from the results I tried my best when handing out my questionnaires to get a good mix of people. For the age range people were mostly my age or my friends parents for the higher ages. This would allow us to get views from different generations of people.

There is also a good mix of male and female people questioned which wasn't a problem.

It was hard to get different races of people as I mostly know White British people, however I tried to find different races of people of friends I knew.

As I live in the East of England it was again hard to find people from different areas. I instead asked people to answer with where they grew up so this could help create a greater range of people.

The different class of people was hard to judge. I instead filled this in myself on what class of people I thought they fitted into instead of what they thought as it was a very 'touchy' subject. So these results cannot be considered entirely accurate.

As you can see, Action was the most popular film genre. I think this mainly due to the excitement that the Action genre offers. Out of the rest of the genres comedy was also very popular with the rest getting very mixed reactions. This would suggest to me that my Film Noir should contain some Action as a sub-genre to my movie as it was seen as the most popular choice of genre.

Film Noir didn't prove very popular with the people I surveyed with only 10 out of 32 saying they liked Film Noir. Not one 16-25 year old said they liked Film Noir which would suggest to me that my target audience would be of a higher age range.

It is very interesting to see that 26 out of 32 people said they would enjoy Film Noir if it was set in modern times. This goes against a convention of Film Noir with them normally set in the 40s or 50s. However, with more interest in the genre if it was modernised it could be a good idea to do this.

When of the main suggestions that people said they would like to see more of in a Film Noir movie is a mysterious storyline with a twist. For my opening I was aiming to make a mysterious opening involving a murder which could be good to this suggestion what people would like to see in a Film Noir. Nobody also said that they would like to see colour which was something I was expecting from the answers. Thsi means that people presume that a Film Noir movie shoould always be filmed in black and white.

Looking at people's favourite movies there was a large mix of different movies mentioned. A lot of British and American comedies such as Shaun of the Dead and Superbad were mentioned a lot and only one Film Noir movie was said to be a favourite, Sunset Boulevard. This to me suggests that Film Noir isn't a very popular genre in modern days. This is something I think I should set out on doing with my film opening, making the opening as likeable and popular among my audience as popular. I would like to make my openings target audience as 40-50 year olds but unfortunately I think I will have to make it more applicable to students as these are the main age rangte of people who will see my opening as it will only be shown to everyone in school. There will also be the chance for people to view my opening on YouTube but with a small chance of it gaining many views.

No comments:

Post a Comment